Thursday, October 19, 2006

Free Hugs

Maybe all this internet stuff really will save the world. But probably not.

However, I did find it interesting when I was browsing YouTube and I came along this little video: (Click here for video) It's basically a 3 minute long video of some guy giving lots of people hugs, hugs getting banned, then the hug guy getting 10,000 people to sign his petition so hugs were legal again. It was mildly touching and even made me feel like giving people hugs; not my every day normal kind of thing. But the real shocker came when I looked below the video to find that it was added less than a month ago and already had been played 3.5 million times. Thats a lot of views for one month.....
Then I got to thinking; the reason that this video has 3.5 million views is obvious: because 3.5 million people want to see videos like this. Every day on the news, in the media, all we hear about is people dying in Iraq, kids getting shot by their father, or hurricanes running a muck. Never would the guy on campus trying to give people free hugs find himself on the 6:00 news. Why you ask....? Because the news guys in their Viacomm office think that 3.5 million people wouldn't want to hear about this; they think (like the blood sucking vampires they are) that people want to hear about death murder kill. Well, they are fucking wrong!!! I think it's great that we now get to select our content vs. filter through poo-poo on the cable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home